Dickcissels and Peregrine Falcons

Dwayne and I headed out early this morning to the fields of Cleveland/Gaston
Counties to look for the recently reported Dickcissels.  They were quite
easy to find and gave us some great scope looks of them singing from the
power lines.  It was the first time we had seen them in NC and was a real
treat.  We headed over to Devil's Courthouse around mid-morning to find the
two adult Peregrines coming and going while the three youngsters made lots
of noise and exercised their wings.  The younger one is still around the
nest area, but the other two were on top of the rocks and flying around a
little.  The real treat was when one of the parents brought in a freshly
killed pigeon and absolutely tore it to shreds!  We were able to share the
experience with many non-birders who stopped at the overlook to see what all
of the commotion was about----and most of them seemed genuinely interested.

Dwayne & Lori Martin
Foothills Bird Club
Claremont, NC