Re: Snapper Takes a Mute Swan

One of the national wildlife magazines (Audubon or National Wildlife -- I
can't recall which) ran an article a couple of years ago (maybe 3) about the
alarming menace to native waterfowl posed by a rapidly increasing population
of mute swans -- primarily in the Northeast where populations now exceed
10,000 individuals. According to the article, mute swans outcompete native
waterfowl for forage and drive it off with an aggressive, territorial
behavior. Also, mute swans cause extensive siltation of water where they
uproot aquatic vegetation and stir up silt with their large feet and bills.
Like most introduced species, the mute swan has become a definite nuisance in
the Northeast which has inspired state wildlife agencies to attempt controls.
Unfortunately, because uninformed local folks think mute swans are pretty
control efforts have been opposed in many locations.

The article also makes clear the fact that the mute swan's aggressiveness
towards humans can be extremely dangerous. It describes an instance in
Indiana where a mute swan (a 40 lb. bird that can fly 50 mph) knocked an
elderly fisherman out of his boat, attacked him and caused him to drown. I
can attest to this aggressive behavior because I had to beat one off with my
kayak paddle after it attacked me while I was in my kayak in Currituck Sound
(ne NC).

The mute swan is a potential environmental threat that the Carolina's must
avoid.  Carolina birders should report increasing populations of mute swans
to the appropriate state agencies and request immediate control.

Charlie Thomas
Greenville, NC