The Expansion Has Begun!

We were coming home from Wal-mart in Hickory this evening (where we saw 2
Kestrels on the billboard near I-40, we think they are nesting on the
billboard) and decided to check for the Eurasian Collared-Doves in Conover.
We relocated the new one from last week near Rock Barn Road.  We went to
where the other 2 hang out and were very surprised to find FIVE
Collared-Doves.  We assume that these are maybe fledglings because we have
checked here several times in the last week and have only had the 2.  Well,
on our way home, we were diving down Centennial Blvd. in Claremont when we
passed an odd looking dove on the wire.  We whipped the van around and took
another look at it and sure enough- an Eurasian Collared-Dove in Claremont!
So that means there are at least 7 Collared-Doves in Catawba County that we
know of and there are probably more!  We will let you know if we find more.

Dwayne & Lori Martin
Foothills Bird Club
Claremont, NC
dlmartin@twave.net