Weekend birds/ Summering species

Greetings Carolinabirders,

-All sightings in Onslow County, NC
I was at the coast last week, and wanted to report a few good late birds
Jim O'Donnell and I located. At the Jacksonville Water treatment Plant,
near Catherines Lake   we found a very late RUDDY DUCK,  1 SCAUP
(species- too distant to tell if Greater or Lesser)  and a pair of
RING-NECKED DUCKS , M and F.

At Sneads Ferry Water Treatment plant, we found 2 PIED-BILLED GREBES.
Once again for about the 7th year in the row, we also found BLACK DUCKS
breeding. The ducklings were about half grown.

A pair of BLACK-NECKED STILTS and a single very young chick were at the
spoil area below the high bridge near N. Topsail beach turnoff. These
were seen last year, but I believe this is the first breeding evidence
for BLK-N STLT  in Onslow County in several years.  Gill Grant located
breeding stilts near this area apx.
20 years ago I believe. (Gill, if you see this , I apologize if my time
frame is off)

The water levels look great here for good shorebird migration. Hope some
of you NC folks get down there and check it out!

Nell Moore
jandnmoore@juno.com
Caryville, TN   N. of Knoxville, TN

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!