(not so)LBJ ID

(LBJ = "L'il Brown Jobbie" <G>)

Okay, Carolina BirdChatters -- please help me out here.

Thrush-sized/shaped bird seen near the ground in low scrub a few meters
ashore of Coddle Creek Reservoir in Cabarrus County.  Bird seen for 2
seconds from above and behind as he/she flew back into dense scrub.  Not
seen again.  Thrush-brown overall - almost rufous, tho not quite
BrnThrasher-rufous and neither as large nor long-tailed.  Most
distinguishing mark: two quarter-sized white/light spots at distal corners
of tail as spread when taking wing.  Larger than Robin distal tail spots. No
good view of head or bill.

No field guides that I have show thrushes with tails spread.  What is it?
Clues, anyone?

7;^)
Tom "two legs at a time" Lorenzin
Davidson (Lake Norman), NC