Fwd: Sage Grouse

C-birders,
I am forwarding an e-mail I've just received from Kevin Collins of Fort
Collins, CO., the leader of our April grouse trip. It looks as if things
are going to be difficult for this newly designated species.

Tom

Tom Joyce (tominbrevard@webtv.net)
PO Box 2542
Brevard, NC 28712

Greetings From The Land of Hot-And-Dry!

You don't know how lucky you were to get the looks we did in April.  I was
back in both May and June, and conditions were progressively hotter, drier,
and less grousy.  By June we were searching for them in almost 100-degree
heat, a real rarity at that altitude but also incredibly overpowering
because of the thin air.  Moreover, we did not find them despite a day and a
half of searching.  Grapevine news is hinting at public land closures to
protect the Gunnison's Sage-Grouse in coming years.  We may be limited to
far distant viewing, private land access, or no viewing at all.  At the rate
of decline documented over the last 20 years, we won't have any Gunnison's
Sage-Grouse to view within another 30 years.  Yes, my friend, you really
were in the vanguard on this one!!!

Best regards, Kevin