Gull Billed Terns

Can anyone on this list suggest sites long the North Carolina Coast (But
not the Outer Banks, because they are too long a drive from Chapel
Hill) where I might have a chane of finding Gull Billed Terns? Also what
kind of a habitat should I be focussing on as I look for them. I have now
made several trips to Fort Fisher and each time been told that there is a
colony of breeding Gull Bills about four miles out on the spit. I have
tried to walk it out on the spit but found that I can only manage about a
mile and a half due to the difficulty of walking on the sand. Does anyone
know if there are spots where Gull Bills are more accessible than
this? Please reply privately.

Trying desperately to get through a birdless July
Shantanu Phukan

SHANTANU PHUKAN
Lecturer in Urdu-Hindi & Indian Literature
University of N. Carolina, Chapel Hill
Curriculum in Asian Studies
Alumni Hall 413C
Chapel Hill, N.C. 27599