Re: Avocets, Forster's Terns at Falls Lake

It was so cool to see the avocets in breeding plumage.
I was teaching at an environmental camp and two boys
were fighting and I took one off by the beach and
there I spotted the birds. I think they helped to calm
him down, because I was so awed by their presence and
beauty. Then when Brian came the next day, I got to
see the Forsters at the same beach! What fun!! Kate
--- B Bockhahn <Birdranger@excite.com> wrote:
> Carolinabirders,
>
> Kate Finlayson reported seeing two american avocets
> in breeding plumage at
> the Rollingview Recreation area boat beach by the
> community building, on
> Thursday 7/13 from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m.
>
> On 7/14 I went to look for them without success, but
> two Forster's Tern, one
> adult, one immature, was a nice suprise perched on
> the buoys of that same
> beach from 1:00 to 2:00 p.m.
>
> Rollingview is in Durham County off Highway 98,
> about three miles east of
> Highway 70.  Head north off Highway 98 on Baptist
> Church Road, which dead
> ends into the park.  You will see brown signs off
> 98.  The boat beach is
> located by the boat ramp and community building at
> the end of the main road
> of the park.
>
> The weekend boaters & swimmers will probably scare
> these birds to a more
> secluded section of the lake.  Still no more reports
> on the wood stork seen
> in the flats, makes you wonder what more could be
> out there when you start
> looking!
>
> Brian Bockhahn
> Falls Lake State Park Ranger