migrants in winston-salem

Dear birders,

Yesterday I got out to check the sewage ponds in Winston-Salem for
migrant shorebirds. I found 3 Spotted sandpipers, and 2 Least sandpipers
(probably juveniles), and the resident Killdeers (counted 32 birds). The
area had some nice other birds including Blue Grosbeaks, Indigo
Buntings, an Field Sparrows. However, the biggest surprise was to find a
male Yellow Warbler in the low bushes adjacent to the sewage pond. I
guess, he must have been a migrant in that location as well. So I think
it is time to start looking for those fall migrant warblers (of course
the male yellow is not a tough one to identify :)

good birding

ferenc

Ferenc Domoki
Wake Forest Univ., Winston-Salem