No Subject

As I stepped out of the house this morning, I was greeted with the singing
of the Louisiana Waterthrush.  The singing lasted about five minutes from
when I first heard it and didn't particularly sound like a youngster
practicing, except for a jumble of confused notes at the very end.  Also
heard this morning were the White-eyed Vireo who nests next to the house, a
few notes from the Prothonotary Warbler, and the usual for July American
Goldfinches and Indigo Buntings.  It was a rather tuneful morning for
mid-July.

Along the birdy back roads this morning, I stopped the car and watched as
two adult Wild Turkeys (I assume hens, although they were so strongly
backlit, I couldn't see the color of the head) and five half-size poults
crossed the road in front of me.  The poults were quite entertaining as the
adults were ready to bolt back into the woods on the side of the road they
were already on but one poult then another broke away and crossed the road.
 The adults and the remaining poults followed the two breakaways. It was
nice to watch as poults kept materializing out of the high grass on the
roadside and skittered across the road.

A pleasant change from the July doldrums.

Donna S. Bailey
Winnsboro, SC

e-mail: dsbailey@conterra.com

	Where are the Birds?  Migration across South Carolina

	Coulmbia Audubon Society