Painted Buntings and House Finches--Any Competition??

In the past few years I've seen increasing numbers of House Finches at sites
and in habitat supporting Painted Buntings (in Carteret County, NC).  In
fact, the last two times I've seen Painted Buntings, each bird chased a
House Finch during my observation.  Does anyone know of any competition
between these two species, specifically competition is particularly
injurious to Painted Buntings?  I guess there are sections of the Southwest
where the two species have always co-existed.  However, their co-existence
in this area is a relatively recent phenomenon.

By the way, if you're ever on the Morehead waterfront in the vicinity of
Captain Bill's Restaurant in May/early summer, you may hear 1 or 2 Painted
Buntings singing on the island across the channel.

                                         John Fussell
                                         Morehead City, NC
                                         jfuss@bmd.clis.com