Hummers at last!!

Good morning C'birders,
I realize it is late in the season to report 'first' hummers, but as most of
you know, we have moved from hummer heaven in Hampstead to Wilmington and
were temporarily at Wrightsville Beach.  We moved in here on May 16th and
immediately hung the feeders, but I was really getting discouraged and tired
of cleaning feeders for nothing.  After almost two months, at exactly 7:40
p.m on July 16th, I saw a female RT sitting at the feeder and it took me a
while to realize I wasn't dreaming.  Then yesterday, we had a male
(absolutely beautiful) who spent the whole afternoon with us and kept chasing
the female away from the feeder.  He has even chosen a perch nearby, so I
feel like he has staked out his territory.  Am having a time keeping the
feeders fresh, but enjoying every minute of it.  We have lots of birds here
and we have a good start on planting for them.  Have enjoyed all the posts,
but have not had a thing worth reporting until now.

Betty Scott
fscott445@aol.com
Wilmington, NC