Scarce shorebird habitat?

What a difference a year makes...
At this time last year many of the local lakes sported abundant shorebird
habitat due to low water levels.  I took a Sunday afternoon flight into RDU that
passed over the north end of Jordan Lake (the New Hope and Morgan Creek mudflats
area).  The water level was quite high with no visible flats up through the area
that includes the power line cut and old railroad bed.  A stop at the NCSU dairy
farm and Lake Wheeler revealed a similar situation, high water levels and no
shoreline of the type typically associated with shorebirds.  I guess one benefit
of all this rain is that I have not has to water the lawn yet this year, but it
sure does not help those of us who like the confusing little peeps!

Folks in the Raleigh area may have noticed a front page article in today's N&O
with a photo of a mute swan (yep, the right specie and everything!) detailing
DOT efforts to increase the "value" of the wetlands at Greenview Pond (a.k.a.
Dutchman's Creek).  There's a nice photo of Carolinabirder John Argentati as
well.

Best,
Steve Shultz
Cary, NC
it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.  Any
intended recipient is prohibited.   If you received this in error, please