CARA -- not approved yet

As far as I know, the CARA legislation in Congress is still being
discussed in the Senate (and it still might be in a committee and not on
the full floor). The House did pass CARA a few weeks ago at a roughly
3:1 margin. There are a number of amendments being discussed now in the
Senate, and a vote by the full Senate might not occur until next week. I
have been receiving updates from various groups watching the discussions
closely, so I may forward them on to carolinabirds if and when this most
important legislation for conservation passes. Things will be much
tougher in the Senate, as a number of Western senators are concerned
that the Federal gov't has enough land already in those states; plus
some are concerned about legislation that would undermine their ability
to dispense up to several billions of dollars annually as they see fit,
rather than the dedicated funding that CARA would provide for
conservation. Stay tuned, as the Senate vote could be close.

--
Harry LeGrand
NC Natural Heritage Program