Maine in July

Hi Carolina Birds:

We (and CBC members Judy Lewis, Bob/Barb Maxwell and Carolyn Jackson) just
returned from a great Maine Ventures with Simon Thompson.  We travelled from
Portland to New Brunswick, Canada in a week of beautiful weather, wonderful
scenery and great birds.

We had a total of 150 species for the trip.  Highlights included breeding
colonies of Atlantic Puffins and Arctic Terns. The whale-watch produced, in
addition to the fin back whale, the Black Guillemot, Manx and Greater
Shearwaters, Wilson's Storm-Petrel, Razorbill and Common Murre and Eiders.
Inland bird highlights included 18 species of Warblers, Yellow-bellied
Flycatcher, Spruce Grouse w/young, White-wing Crossbill, Black-bill Cuckoo,
Boreal Chickadee, Nelson's and Salt-marsh Sharp-tail Sparrows.

From the rocky coast of Acadia NP to Machias Seal Island and other "down
east" sites, we had a wonderful time, made new friends, ate fresh blueberry
pie and pancakes, had blueberry beer, seen at least a dozen lighthouses and
enjoyed the very best of nature.  We highly recommend Maine in July with
Ventures.

Best regards,
Lamar and Brenda Ashe
733 Forest Brook Drive