Reddish Egret- Sunset Beach

We took advantage of a trip to the Wilmington area Sunday to visit the Sunset
Beach-Twin Lakes area in southeastern NC.  Our goal was to pick up Wood Stork in
NC, but the best bird turned out to be a dark-phase Reddish Egret in the Mad
Inlet area of Sunset Beach.  Also at Mad Inlet:
Piping Plover
Semipalmated Plover
Western SP
Least SP
Whimbrel
Am. Oystercatcher
Blk Skimmer
Willet
Greater Yellowlegs
Least, Forsters, Sandwich and Royal Terns

Twin Lakes produced the sought after Wood Storks, 28 birds in all.  (11 on the
easternmost lake and 17 on the western)
We also noted 2 Anhinga and Common Moorhen among the more common waders.

A few shorebirds have finally shown up near the house, a Lesser Yellowlegs and a
Solitary SP were present over the weekend at the NCSU dairy unit pond.

The Durham Bulls game Friday night provided a trio of Common Nighthawks feeding
in the lights after dark.  Nighthawks are seen during nearly every game in late
summer.

Have a great week,
Steve Shultz
Cary, NC

it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.  Any
intended recipient is prohibited.   If you received this in error, please