Osprey Platforms at Jordan Lake

Carolina Birds

The US Army Corps of Engineers, NC Division of Parks and Recreation, New
Hope Audubon, and Carolina Power and Light are working together to put
up Osprey platforms at Jordan Lake.

A work day to assemble platforms is planned for Saturday August 16,
2000.

Work will take place at the NC State Recreation Area Headquarters
maintenance area located on NC HWY 64.  We will begin at 8:00 AM  and
work till around noon.  We hope to assemble at least 6 platforms that
day.  CP&L will be installing them later this year.

If you can't make it to this work day donžt worry, we plan to have
others.  Our goal is to have a total of  12 to 15 platforms installed.

We know of at least 12 nesting pairs of Osprey on the lake.  As the
standing dead timber in the lake ages and falls we are loosing many
nesting sites.

If you are interested in helping or have questions please contact me by
September 11, 2000.

Please pass this on to others you think may be interested.

Thanks,

Michael Hosey
Conservation Biologist
US Army Corps of Engineers