Upland Sandpipers in Wilmington

On Sunday, August 20, Judy Murray, Bruce Young and I saw at least 10 Upland
Sandpipers at the Wilmington Airport.  Most birds were in the field to the
left of the entry drive on the edges of a slight depression in the middle
of the field.  We saw both adult and juvenile birds in very good light
between 4:00PM and 5:30PM.  John Fussell's book "A Birder's Guide to
Coastal North Carolina" contains specific directions to the airport and
also describes exactly where to look for these birds (and he was exactly
right!).

Earlier in the day we saw at least 35 Wood Storks at Twin Lakes near Sunset
Beach,, as well as Common Moorhen, Anhinga and an alligator.

All-in-all it was a great day, the uppies were life birds for all three of
us and were very well seen.  It was cool!

Rick Payne
Durham, NC
repayne@mindspring.com