Weekend Migrants

Hi foks,

This past Saturday morning was busy with migrants at Cape Romain NWR, North
of Charleston, SC. The heavy(!!!)thunderstorms of the previous night had
knocked down large flocks of warblers, though only a few species were seen.

Yellow Warblers (MANY... the majority... probably 150+ including those
identified by "zeep" note)
Prairy (perhaps 2 dozen)
Northern Waterthrush (2)
American Redstart (1)
Hooded (1) The female Hooded was out on a scrubby island in the marshes.

The birds I could identify by call note were all Yellow Warblers with a few
Indigo Buntings and several pairs of Bobolinks.

Shorebirding was dissappointing to say the least and
included Whimbrel, S-b Dowicher, Least, Semipal. Plover and Sand.

Swallows were the majority of the birds seen that morning and included:

Barn (Thousands)
Bank (hundreds)
Martin (a hundred or so)
Rough-wing (a hundred or so)
Cliff 5
Tree 1

all passing in groups of 1 to 10 birds.

We were camping at Buck Hall campground (US Forest Service), looking at and
canoing the intercoastal waterway of Cape Romain NWR (1 Gull-billed Tern and
CLOSE dolphins) were the highlight. All the suspected migrants that went up
that morning were headed south, along and over the marshes.

Cheers
Paul Champlin
Aiken, SC... (soon to be of New Ellenton, SC)
capito@hotmail.com