Fresh Water Black Rail Habitat etc.

Hi folks,

At the Savannah River Site in SC we have intact Carolina Bays. These are
oval geologic depressions that vary in size up to several hundred hectares
and can be wooded, shrubby or grassy, but always have seasonal flooding. In
fact, they are often called wet meadows when found on active farmland. One
of these bays on the site approaches 150 hectares (300+ acres) and is grassy
(called Craig's Pond). I could easily see an inland, perhaps migrant Black
Rail using IT as well as some of the other larger, grassy bays. As I
remember, you need to be out at 2AM to have the best chance of finding
breeding Black Rail (the times I have found them have been near this time...
yawn-city). Perhaps I'll try next spring/summer. For the bays I was also
thinking of wintering/migrating Nelsons S-tailed Sparrow, Leconte's etc.

Here's a question... What about Yellow Rail? In Louisiana I hear birders at
LSU discovered that you need to watch the rice fields being harvested. The
farmers cut the rice on the edges, working their way to the center. Once the
center is being cut, as many as 30 yellow rails fly out of the last scrap of
habitat.

Cheers,
Paul Champlin
New Ellenton, SC