Harvester City and warblers in Duke Forest

At lunch time today (9/8/00), Rachel Harden and I visited the Shepherd
Nature Trail in Duke Forest (Durham, NC).  This time the highlight was
butterflies, not birds: we found a colony of about 9 Harvesters (a rare,
beautiful little butterfly that eats alder/beech wooly adelgids as a
youngster)!  Apparently that's the state high count and first fall report
for the Piedmont.  There's lots of American Beech and lots of adelgids on
the beeches in this area.  The biggest cluster was just before you cross the
stream the second time on the far side of the loop (assuming you go
clockwise on the trail).  Lots of sparring matches going on!  How could we
have missed them before??

We had some birds, too:

1 E. Wood-Pewee
1 Red-eyed Vireo
1 House Wren

1 NASHVILLE Warbler
2 Chestnut-sided Warbler
3 Magnolia Warbler
1 Black-and-white Warbler
5 American Redstart
1 Worm-eating Warbler

1 Summer Tanager

See http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/tbg/dukeforestjp.html for directions to this
area.
--
Charles W. "Will" Cook                  w 919-660-7423
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook            cwcook@duke.edu