last-minute question

Hi Carolinabirders,

Duke Biology has an exchange program called DAAD that brings students
from Germany to study here. One of these students, Frank Rheindt, is a
birder. He and I had planned to take a Brian Patteson pelagic this
weekend, but the boat was cancelled due to under-subscription, so now
we're planning to go for landbirds.

I originally planned to head for Dwayne and Lori's count at Ridge
Junction, but Frank particularly wants to look for the southeastern
nesting warbler species: Swainson's, Worm-eating, Prothonotary, Hooded,
etc. He has already seen many northern warblers during a trip to
Pennsylvania, years ago. Some of the southern species are migrating even
around the Triangle, but I figure a good migrant trap near the southern
coast, maybe around Wilmington or Beaufort.

So here's the question: where would the best place be to seek a variety
of southern-breeding warbler species? A coastal migrant trap? Or are
they just as likely to be migrating through the Peidmont as on the
coast? Or might we find them still on their breeding grounds, even on
this late date, in which case I might head for Alligator River NWR or
the Croatan?

We are planning to leave Durham around 4 AM tomorrow, so anyone who can
answer before, maybe, 9 or 10 PM tonight please do so. Anyone who
doesn't receive this e-mail until Saturday morning, well, reply anyway;
there's always next weekend! And please reply directly to me; I'll
update the list with a summary of replies, as well as Frank's and my
weekend results, sometime next week...

Good birding,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose