stallout and takeoff

An interesting stallout occurred in my yard on the Franklin/Nash County line
yesterday afternoon.  As the storm moved in and the rains began, migrants
began to appear in the wooded edge of the yard.  As the day and the storm
wore on the number of species and individuals increased steadily until dark.
Rain fell here throughout the night and into the morning while many of
yesterday's species were apparent foraging very early in the AM.  The
weather cleared here about mid-day today and this afternoon I arrived home
to a yard completely empty of any unusual species -  full of very contented
chickadees, titmice and wrens.  There were 10 wood warbler species in the
yard Monday afternoon, as well as Red-eyed and White-eyed Vireos, Summer and
Scarlet Tanagers, BG Gnatcatchers, a Baltimore Oriole and an immature male
RB Grosbeak.  The warblers included: Tennessee, Chestnut-sided, Magnolias,
Black-throated Greens, Pines, Bay-breasted, Black-and-whites, Redstarts,
Worm-eating and Hooded.  For one memorable moment the Hooded, 2 B&W's and a
Magnolia were all foraging in the (rather low) top of a dead elm snag
covered with trumpet vine and Virginia creeper.  The deep leaden sky was a
wonderful backdrop to the bright green and scarlet of the vines, the
bleached cream of the barkless wood and the rich variety of plumages.  All
the birds I saw yesterday and this AM were foraging very successfully - I
was surprised to find even a few caterpillars left on the birch tree!
Something for the next batch ....

Sharon Funderburk
srfdbacca@mindspring.com
Castalia, NC 27816