Duke Forest Shepards trail

Folks,

I made it out to the gate C Shepards trail in Duke Forest today with my
friend Glaeshia O'Rourke about 8 am this morning. We didn`t have much luck
at first with poor light, tree rain and some mild rain. Also whenever we
heard a flock it seemed a jet would always fly by and make hearing the birds
useless. But we did ok with our first bird being what I believed to be a
calling Kentucky Warbler. The habitat was perfect, the call note seemed
right and the reaction to my pishing all gave me the impression it was a
Kentucky Warbler. Well it flew out and we missed seeing it... We checked
where it went and found only a Catbird and a Wood Thrush. We ventured in
further to get rained on during the first flock and Glaeshia saw a male
American Redstart and a Ruby-crowned Kinglet. Shortly after that I found a
very well marked  CONNECTICUT WARBLER I probably had a better look at this
bird than any other bird all morning. I saw the gray hood, bold white eye
ring, olive colored back and yellow belly. I`d say it was an immature male
or female. We bombed out on the rest of the guilded trail after this good
bird (NC lifer for me!).

After gate C we decided to try the gate 4 section of Shepards Trail and
really found a busy flock at the first road intersection about 1/3 mile down
the forest road. We saw or heard these warblers 2 Black and White Warbler,
Worm Eating Warbler (heard only), Tennessee Warbler, 3 Northern Parula,
Maginola Warbler, Black-throated Blue (female), Pine Warbler (many heard)
and (5-6) American Redstart. Due to the poor light and tall trees we missed
pretty many IDs I`d say. Watched the dogwood berries in many places but
could`nt find anyone eating them, Did hear several American Robins and hoped
for more thrushes but no luck on them. We left at about 11 am just before
more rain came in.

Randy Emmitt
Rougemont, NC