Re: Cherohala Skyway and Chickadees

Email from Harry LeGrand (2000-09-26 08:04 -0400) :
> As for chickadees, the Black-capped Chickadees reported in the previous
> e-mail were likely Carolinas. BCC are widespread in Great Smoky Mts. NP
> and along the BRP toward the Richland Balsam and Devils Courthouse. They
> are not present in Grham County, as far as I know.

Hey Harry,

I wasn't along for the trip, just forwarded the report, and personally
haven't found BC Chicakadees along the Cherohalla.  However, I do know
know both David and Allan Trently well enough to know that neither
would report Black-capped (or should we say Black-cappped-type)
Chickadees without relying on vocal clues.  Granted, there's the whole
issue of hybridization in this area and questions about the reliability
of safely distinguishing such birds by calls and songs, and David is
aware of this.  I'm sure they had birds giving BC songs and/or calls and
just meant to imply that.  Though I will point out that parts of the
Skyway are above the so-called "magic" elevation of 6000ft used in
the Smokies as a crude "rule of thumb" for separating BC and Carolina
... not that that is reliable of course.

Anyway, good birding everyone.

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN
kde@angst.engr.utk.edu