Subject: Masked Booby NOT seen today
From: Jeff Pippen <jspippen@duke.edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 23:02:51 -0400 (EDT)

Birders,

Just a quick note & then off to bed.  Today (Wed 27 Sep 00) Will Cook and
I made a mad dash to the Outer Banks in search of Masked Booby.  We did
NOT see it.  We searched the south end of Oregon Inlet, the beach
opposite North Pond, Coquina Beach, and the beach by the Outer Banks
Fishing Pier just south of Whalebone Junction.

Migrant passerines were a little disappointing as well, since we had high
hopes with the recent passage of a cold front, however we still managed a
dozen species of warblers, including Blackpoll, Blackburnian, Cape May, &
Magnolia.  Also interesting were a couple of Snow Geese at North Pond --
seemed a tad early for them.  The best bird of the day was a Clay-colored
Sparrow seen in the back corner of the north dike of North Pond with
Wayne Irvin.  (Well, the sparrow wasn't with Wayne, we had just run into
him there . . .)

Also of note, Wayne and Jeff Lewis reported seeing at least one
Philadelphia Vireo from Bodie Isand this morning.  We looked for it this
afternoon but were unable to relocate it.

Although we were disappointed about not finding the booby, we still
mustered 93 species for what seemed like a relatively slow day!

Jeff Pippen                                      jspippen@duke.edu
Biology Dept. Box 90338
Duke University, Durham, NC  27708              PH: (919) 660-7278

Joshua S. Rose
Duke University
Department of Biology (Zoology, R.I.P.)

jsr6@acpub.duke.edu