LAWRENCE'S

At 8:15 this morning I saw an adult male Lawrence's Warbler at Lake Crabtree
in Raleigh. It was in the first parking lot, on the right side, at eye level
in the small trees-shrubs below the two very tall poplars that have lost most
of their leaves. After losing it for 15 minutes, I saw it again briefly a few
yards to the right. Then it moved off toward the right.

The bird was very easy to identify. Here's what I saw, in fairly good light:
yellow forehead, bold black mask through the eye, black throat, bright yellow
chest and belly, white undertail coverts,  two bold white wing bars on "blue"
wings. The bird was first seen with a Tennessee Warbler, and later with a
chickadee and titmouse.

I studied Golden Wings and a Blue Winged three days ago with Simon Thompson
at Jackson Park. This Lawrence's looked just like the illustration in the
Dunn Warbler book. It was almost like the bottom of the page illustration in
the Nat Geo except that the black throat was more bold and distinct. (BTW,
Simon identified 2 Cape Mays in Jackson Park. One reason more aren't reported
is that the first year females are awfully cryptic. I'll take a Lawrence's
any day.)