HBSP on 10-7

Hi Carolinabirders,
	Yesterday, Oct. 7, I led a field trip for Waccamaw Audubon to Huntington
Beach S.P., Murrells Inlet, Georgetown, County, SC.  There were 11
participants and I had lots of help from all, but particularly so from Dr.
Chris Hill, (CCU ornithologist) Bob Maxwell and Tonya Spires. For not going
to the jetty/jetty pond results were impressive.  At the start it was
evident that the front was attempting to come through as it became breezy
from the northeast and seemed to get a little colder as the morning wore
on. 59 species:
Pied-billed Grebe-2
Double-crested Cormorant-35
Great Blue Heron-3
Great Egret-4
Snowy Egret-4
Tricolored Heron-2
White Ibis-25
Wood Stork-18
Osprey-5
Bald Eagle-1
Red-tailed Hawk-1
Clapper Rail-5 Heard only
Black-bellied Plover-4 including one really beautiful juvenile example
Greater Yellowlegs-2
Willet-1
Sanderling-10
Semipalmated Sandpiper-1
Dunlin-2
Short-billed Dowitcher-4
Laughing Gull-8
Ring-billed Gull-5
LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL-1 unfortunately seen only by Chris Hill on the
beach at the southern end
of the park
Caspian Tern-10
Royal Tern-1
Forster's Tern-1
Mourning Dove-2
E. Screech Owl-1 heard only in response to Chris's imitation
Great Horned Owl-1 seen by Chris on the Kerrigan Trail
Belted Kingfisher-8 high number
Red-bellied Woodpecker-2
N. Flicker-4
E. Phoebe-1
E. Kingbird-1
Tree Swallow-400
N. Rough-winged Swallow-1
Barn Swallow-2
Blue Jay-30
Fish Crow-10
Crow sp.-100
Carolina Chickadee-8
Tufted Titmouse-10
Carolina Wren-3
Gray Catbird-5
N. Mockingbird-8
Brown Thrasher-4
Loggerhead Shrike-2
White-eyed Vireo-3
Tennessee Warbler-1 beginning of Sandpiper Pond Trail. An immature male
N. Parula-2
Pine Warbler-1 or 2
Palm Warbler-3
Black and White Warbler-1
Am. Redstart-4
Common Yellowthroat-1
Rose-breasted Grosbeak-1 one immature male seen by Tonya on the carriage
path. Another seen at the beginning of Sandpiper Trail
Bunting sp-5 probably Indigo could only see the back on the one perched bird
Red-winged Blackbird-20
E. Meadowlark-5
Boat-tailed Grackle-40

Today, Paul Rogers showed up expecting to be at the field trip, a calendar
mixup, but he did see a N. Waterthrush from the carriage path. He also saw
a deer and a Bobcat with two kits also on the carriage path.

Good birding; good company.

Jack

Jack Peachey
Conway, SC