Western species irruption (fingers crossed)

Hi folks, (please reply to capito@hotmail.com)

A note passed down from the Ontario birdline indicates we might have our
first vagrancy irruption for the year (though nearly all rba/birdlines show
Sabine's Gulls being seen, and I'm convinced they are on the increase). With
the western species, I kinda figured this might happen with all the habitat
burned out there and the current weather pattern. This also may just be
pie-in-the-sky:

>Birders may be interested to know that a major irruption >of montane
>species is developing in west Texas.
>
>Species involved include Pinyon Jay, Clark's >Nutcracker,  Williamson's
>Sapsucker, Townsend's >Solitaire, Lewis's Woodpecker, Cassin's Finch and
>Red >Crossbill amongst others.  A Clark's Nutcracker was seen >at the Smith
>Point hawk-watch today, which is just east >of Houston.
>
>This irruption may or may not pertain to Canada, as it >might be limited to
>the southern Rocky Mountains only.  >However, the recent three (3)
>Townsend's Solitaires at >Thunder Bay indicates that additional mountain
>species >might occur this fall and winter in the east.
>
>Some readers will recall a similar irruption that >occurred in the central
>Rockies back in the fall of 1972 >that resulted in the appearances in
>Ontario of Clark's >Nutcracker, Lewis's Woodpecker, Gray-crowned
>Rosy-Finch, >Townsend's Solitaires and many Black-billed Magpies.
>
>Alan Wormington,
>offshore from North Padre Island, Gulf of Mexico, Texas

Paul Champlin
capito@hotmail.com
New Ellenton, SC