Morris Creek, 10/15/2000

Perhaps the end of warbler migration is near. I had two warbler species in
the yard today, both of whom represent the end of warbler migration.

A Yellow-rumped Warbler accompanied a Carolina Chickadee to the finch feeder
this afternoon.  Of course, the warbler was more interested in the
invertebrates in the oak trees than the seeds in the feeder.

I also had a nice long look at an Orange-crowned Warbler eating the berries
of the Devil's Walking Stick (Aralia spinosa) this afternoon.  It was a bit
of a job for the tiny bird to choke down the berries but he persevered.  For
some reason, the Devil's Walking Stick bore a big crop of somewhat larger
than usual berries this year and it has been quite attractive to the warblers.

Donna Bailey
Winnsboro, SC
e-mail: dsbailey@conterra.com
    "Columbia Audubon Society"