Rufous Hummingbird

A Rufous Hummingbird spent the evening in the garden here on the border
between Franklin and Nash counties.  The bird appeared to be a subaduIt
male, showing good rust color on the back, sides and tail, while not having
a very well filled in gorget.  I had the pleasure of watching him for about
half an hour, during which he alternated between perching, preening and
making three foraging trips through the yard, feeding on several sages
including Salvia guaranitica, as well as Bee Balm and Turk's Cap.  During
the third trip to the Salvia leucantha, he almost tangled in a rather large
spider web, but managed to snatch free, and after a most vigorous full body
rub-down on the perch branch he disappeared.  It was dusk by then so I came
inside after washing and refilling the recently neglected feeders.  I also
dusted off the pineapple sage - maybe he'll stay.  If not, keep your eyes
peeled on the coast!

Sharon Funderburk
Castalia, NC
srfdbacca@mindspring.com