Possible roseate spoonbill

While hawk watching in coastal SC on Sunday I observed a bird flying that
had a distinct pinkish color near the intracoastal waterway and near some
managed impoundments on the Francis Marion National Forest.  The bird was
flying generally north along a string of impoundments, was by itself, and
definitely pink.  It eventually joined a two white ibis and the contrast in
color became more evident.  The bird also had a different wing beat from the
ibis.  All birds eventually dropped below the tree line out of sight.   I
had to leave and could not make the walk out to the impoundments.  I
assumed this might be a roseate spoonbill, although I can not confirm that.
However, if you wish to locate this "possible" bird, here are the
directions: Charleston County, SC, two miles south of McClellanville, SC,
east side of Hwy. 17, there will be a small oval sign that indicates Tibwin
Plantation, and sand/dirt road leading to a heavy, white, and closed gate.
You will have to park at the gate and walk to the impoundments.  Continue
walking down the main road until you reach the end (spur roads will lead you
to the left and right).  These are where the impoundments are.  To reach the
southernmost impoundments, take the road to the right, to reach the
impoundments to the north, backtrack about 50 yards and go north on the
road.  All of the impoundments are in a line, and if you get this far and to
the end of the road, two impoundments will be almost in front of you.
Recently there was a roseate spoonbill on James Island in Charleston County
and I was able to see the bird.  However, it has not been seen in several
weeks.  For those interested, there are large extensive grassy/weedy fields
at North Tibwin that harbor many sparrows and the walk out to the
impoundments will certainly be worthwhile for other species.  Also, the most
recent Fall Migration Count at Tibwin yielded 98 species in just a few
hours, and Sunday's hawk watch had 11 species of raptors with several
hundred individuals counted.  The walk out to the impoundments will take
about 15-20 minutes.  You will need insect repellent.

Craig Watson
Mt. Pleasant, SC
Home (843)881-2562
Work (843)727-4707, x16