Sparrows and friends in Happy Valley

The Foothills Bird Club had its annual fieldtrip to the Wagner Property in
Happy Valley, NC earlier today and had a marvelous time!  We've always
billed this as our "sparrow-hunt" and today's birding definitely lived up to
the billing.  We had eight sparrow species with Song, Swamp, and Savannah
leading the numbers with hundreds present.  We also had a surprise
bird---look at the bottom of the list!  It generally takes us about 2 and a
half hours to thoroughly bird the property---but today it took over 4
hours----that's how many birds were there!!!  Below is the list:

Canada Goose
Mallards
Black Vultures
Turkey Vultures
Sharp-shinned Hawk
Killdeer
Rock Dove
Mourning Dove
Belted Kingfisher
Red-belly Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Pileated Woodpecker (heard only)
Eastern Phoebe
Blue Jay
American Crow
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
Carolina Wren
Ruby-crowned Kinglets
Eastern Bluebirds
American Robin
Cedar Waxwing
European Starling
Yellow-rumped Warblers (many)
Northern Cardinal
Eastern Towhee
Chipping Sparrow
VESPER SPARROW
Savannah Sparrow
FOX SPARROW
Song Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW
Eastern Meadowlark
Common Grackle
American Goldfinch
House Finch
PURPLE FINCH  ( a female--quite a surprise!)

Dwayne & Lori Martin
Foothills Bird Club
Claremont, NC
dlmartin@twave.net