opinions on optics

Greetings everyone,

I'm planning to "upgrade" some of my optical equipment and was wondering
if anyone had opinions (particularly if from personal experience) on the
following:

Canon 12 X 36 vs 15 X 50 Image Stabilizing Binocs. Primary purpose:
During the next 3-4 years, I'll be doing a series of extended pelagic
trips aboard large vessels (ca. 500-1000 ft.) and need the extra power.
The essential question is power vs "usability" (hand holding, wearing
around the neck day after day, etc.)

Spotting Scope (straight tube type) Kowa vs Swarovski vs ???.

Apart from the fact that I will try to carry a scope on these cruises, my
wife is getting more interested in birding and having a "regular" scope
(other than my (very old) Questar has advantages.

To some extent, cost is a factor but not the only one.

Cheers,

Mike Tove
Cary, NC
mtove@insureain.com

Don't forget to vote - and - Vote early and vote often.