Re: eastern red cedars

> 1. Has anyone on this list tried planting eastern red cedars and found
> them to provide good COVER for small passerines (or even thrushes)? I
> know that Waxwings like the berries, but I was wondering if they are
> useful in other ways as well.

Yes, they're one of the best cover-providers.  Mine are loaded with White-
throated Sparrows, Hermit Thrushes, and many other species roosting every
night in the winter, and have lots of nesting birds in the summer.

> 2. Where can I buy cedar saplings of good size? I have tried five
> nurseries and they all tell me that they don't propagate them. I know
> that they are growing all around us, but I don't want to just walk
> into someone's field and dig one up, especially since I want the
> saplings to be of a reasonably good size.

E. Redcedar saplings are probably easier to buy in Europe than here --
they're not as fashionable here perhaps because they're too common.  You
can buy year-old seedlings from the NC Forest Service --
http://www.dfr.state.nc.us/managing/seedling_plist.htm -- for $95/500.
It's possible that a local nursery carries them -- call around.
The easiest way if you just want a couple may be to dig them up (with
permission, of course).

> 3. I understand that red cedars are male or female, and only the
> female trees bear berries. Does this mean that I should definitely
> plant several, or is there enough pollen around that even a single
> female will bear fruit?

There's probably enough pollen around, but they might provide better
cover in a group.

More food and cover plant suggestions:
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/plants4birds.html

--
Charles W. "Will" Cook                  w 919-660-7423
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook            cwcook@duke.edu