Re: eastern red cedars

     I have many E. red Cedars (Juniperus) growing in the woods and close to
the house.  They are definitely favored by many birds.  I have seen Thrushes
sitting quietly amidst the branches right out behind the house.
     Last winter after we had so much snow in Chapel Hill, freezing rain was
then predicted.  I spoke with my neighbor, Nancy Easterling, who is a
botanist, late in the day about my plan to shake the heavy layer of snow off
some of the Dogwoods and Cedars before the ice came, fearing they would snap
with the extra weight (they were already bent over quite a bit).  She agreed
and was doing that too, so I went out and knocked snow off of some Dogwoods,
but when I got to my first Cedar that was bent over and was now horizontal
with probably 15" of snow on it, I began brushing with my broom, and a burst
of small birds, @ 25?, mostly Juncos and Sparrows flew out from it's branches
under the snow.  I felt terrible and stopped right then and there and hoped
they would find cover again before nightfall.
     Most didn't snap with the extra weight, although some remained bent
over.  I have a few like that out the bedroom window, and see many birds like
Wrens and Juncos perched in those, too, and they seem to enjoy the horizontal
trees a lot.  Had a family of newly fledged Wrens in one tree last summer.
Gives them some extra cover close to the ground!
Shelley Theye

Shelley Theye
North Chatham County, NC
Psbmt@aol.com