An interesting day on the Cape Fear River

This morning (11/4) my fishing partner and I drove up to the NC 42
landing on the Cape Fear River north of Broadway and paddled
downriver to Bush Creek.  We also explored a second creek which is
right at the bridge.  Neither of us caught any fish, but we ended up
with 11 species of birds plus some that we simply didn't see well
enough for a positive id.  (Much of the time our binoculars were
tucked away in a dry bag rather than being ready at hand.)  There
were lots of woodpeckers:  pileated, red-bellied, downey, and a
possible flicker.  We found a flock of chickadees and, with it, a
titmouse and an eastern phoebe.   We also had fish crows, great blue
herons, and several kingfishers.  I saw several possible song
sparrows and a definite swamp sparrow.  I viewed it from about 6
feet.  A turkey vulture also showed up briefly.

Bush Creek would be worth a return trip or a first trip for someone
who enjoys birding by canoe.  The mouth of the creek is on the right
a half mile or so downriver from the bridge, but because Buckhorn Dam
is downstream, current is not a problem unless the river is flooded.
As you go downstream, the right hand bank is in Lee County and the
left hand bank is in Chatham.  The mouth of the creek that is at,
nearly under, the bridge is directly across from the public landing.
There is a third creek that may be worth exploring.  If you go
upstream and stay on the Lee County side when you reach McKay Island,
the mouth of Roberts Creek will be on your left before you get to the
upper end of the island.  The area is shown on page 61 of the DeLorme
atlas.

Bob
Robert C. Perkins, Ph.D.
Associate Dean for Academic Affairs
Methodist College, Fayetteville, NC 28311
910-630-7037     rperkins@methodist.edu