Ivory-billed updates

Hi Carolinabirders,

A few people have asked me about Ivory-billed Woodpeckers recently. I
thought I would share a list of websites with moderately recent news
about the species, most but not all focusing on the alleged sighting
last year by forestry graduate student David Kullivan in the Honey Island
Swamp of Louisiana. Most were compiled by Graham Etherington on the
listserv ID-Frontiers; the rest I found myself on a quick web-search.
These make very entertaining and informative reading, and should keep
Ivory-billed fans busy for hours... Have fun!

http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Canopy/6181/ibwo.html
Steve Hampton's page, with a quick review of recent sightings, and
tips, directions, and a map of the area where Kullivan's report was
located.

http://www.birdingamerica.com/Ivorybill/ivorybilledwoodpecker.htm
I think this page illustrates the increasing mythological power of the
Ivory-billed Woodpecker; reading these accounts of searches by Mary Scott
sounds more like a search for Bigfoot, a Yeti, or the Loch Ness Monster
than a birding trip!

http://www.americanbirding.org/newsbullet3.htm
David Muth's account of a more reputable search, from which some
participants claimed to have heard Ivory-billed calls, but noone saw
anything.

http://www.clarionledger.com/news/0001/30/30woodpecker.html
A newspaper article about Kullivan's sighting.

http://www.al.com/news/mobile/Jul2000/9-a355419a.html
A different newspaper article about Kullivan's sighting.

http://www.registerguard.com/news/20001105/1a.woodpecker.1105.html
Yet another different newspaper article about Kullivan's sighting.

http://www.northlakenature.org/CurrentEvents/Ivory-BilledWoodPecker.html
One more different newspaper article about Kullivan's sighting. No wonder
he hasn't seen the birds since, he's been giving interviews the whole
time!

http://worldtwitch.virtualave.net/ivorybill.htm
Details from the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries on how
to legally enter the area where Kullivan saw the birds (a hunting,
fishing, or non-consumptive use license is required), and warnings about
hunting seasons, dangerous wildlife, etc.

http://www.birdwatchersdigest.com/bwd/articles/bwd99
				/may_june99/ivory_billed_woodpecker.html
An article written prophetically in 1999, before news of Kullivan's
sighting had broken nationally, with a comprehensive and detailed review
of Ivory-billed Woodpecker history, and testimony by woodpecker experts.

http://lnr.dragonfire.net/ESAS/8ephemra/nuttibwp.htm
An account of the natural history of the Ivory-bill, written by
ornithologist Thomas Nuttall (after whom the Nuttall's Woodpecker was
named) back in the early 1800's when they were still readily observable.

http://www.jjaudubon.com/havell/plates/plate066.html
The plate of the Ivory-bill from John James Audubon's "Birds of America".

Good birding,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose
Duke University