Re: birding question

December is my favorite month to visit FL.  Although I have birded all over
FL, including the Dry Tortugas, my favorite place is St. Marks Nat'l
Wildlife Refuge which is located on the gulf below Tallahassee.  Just a
wonderful place... variety of habitat, hiking, good birds, and unusually
close up views of them.  One early evening in December, I had a view of a
yellow rail from about 5 feet as it wandered out of the pond edges and
nearly onto my boots.  The NWR info center has boardwalks, maps, books etc.
 Wakulla Springs State Park north of the NWR, and also below Tallahassee,
is worth a stop.  Old restored home in the center of the park serves great
meals, rents rooms and has a boat tour into an area where the old Tarzan
movies were filmed.  The tour is worthwhile if you care to see/photograph
eagles, heron, limkin etc. upclose and personal. The park has feeders out.
At night owls and limpkins can be heard.

The "springs" area is northeast of St. Marks.  Blue Springs State Park is
where I have had my best views of Manatees.  Have also tented at other
"springs" areas in Ocala Nat'l Forest.

I guess you can tell that I am ready for a return visit.

At 10:54 PM 11/8/00 -0500, THam9281@aol.com wrote:
>I really enjoy all the posts on this list.
>I have a question that maybe one of you can help with...
>
>I am planning to go camping in Florida from Dec 23 - Jan 1.
>At the moment I have no particular destination. Last year I managed to be at
>Flamingo for Bird Week the first of March, and then went over to Ding
>Darling. That really spoiled me.  Saw birds I never dreamed existed. Ran
>through a gazillion rolls of film.
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions for the late-December timeframe as to where
>I could go in FL and see some birds, maybe enjoy some light hiking ???
(Would
>also love to see manatee in the natural; have been told to go to the
>"springs" areas, but I don't know where that is)
>
>Since last year's trip was my first-ever time to go to FL; its obvious that
>I've never been to FL in December and I'm not sure where to go.
>
>Would appreciate any help. You can respond privately or to the list.
>
>Terry
>tham9281@aol.com

Nancy Iha
niha@citcom.net