Vesper Sparrows

It is true that Vespers are probably more common in the mountains of WNC.  They
are quite regular spring and fall migrants in Henderson and Transylvania
Counties.  Although I wouldn't call them common by any means, it is a bird that
I expect to see.  This fall I have seen them in several locations and several
times, but usually only one to three at a time.  All sightings have been in the
flat river valleys in grassy areas adjacent to shrubby ditches or old fields.
They show up in the same places in both spring and fall.  They may be up in the
higher mountain balds as well, but I do not get up there as much in the winter
because the higher elevations tend to be fairly birdless in the winter - good
mainly for Ravens and Red-breasted Nuthatches.  Mountain balds have been known
to get Snow Buntings and Horned Larks in the winter, though, if anyone wants
to check them (Bob O, this means you).
Marilyn Westphal/Hendersonville
mjwestphal@unca.edu