Pamlico Co. Sparrows

  Hi Carolina Birders,  I have decided to determine how many sparrows I can
find in Pamlico Co. this winter. I made a great start on the outskirts of
Oriental Monday finding 1 Vesper and 1 Le Conte. I realize that both are
very rare for this area but I am sure that my ID is correct after
consulting 5 different guides. On Tues I went back with my wife Frances and
Liz Lathrop. Frances and I saw the Le Conte but Liz did not. We didn't see
the Vesper. Hopefully I'll be able to try again on Thur.or Fri.. Talked to
Bob Holmes, our resident sparrow expert, who tells me that he has seen Le
Contes in Craven Co. so although they are rare they are not unheard of in
this area. These are not lifers for me although they of course are new NC
birds. I would welcome any comment anyone has on either species in NC.
Good birding,
Jim Ward
Oriental, NC

jw1118@coastalnet.com