gulls as predators; new feeder discovery; pink ducks

Hi C-birders,

The issue of gulls as predators was discussed extensively on the listserv
BIRDCHAT at some point in the last few years, I forget exactly when.
Maybe somebody on Carolinabirds also subscribes to BIRDCHAT and might
remember. The BIRDCHAT archives can be viewed and searched by
nonsubscribers at http://listserv.arizona.edu/lsv/www/birdchat.html

For my personal contributions, participants in the Wings Over Water
pelagic trip got to watch a Great Black-backed Gull attacking an American
Coot as we returned to port. The coot was still alive when we lost sight
of it; the gull attacked whenever it flew, but seemed to leave it alone
when it was swimming.

During my tenure at the Whitefish Point Bird Observatory, we started the
waterbird count one morning to discover a Saw-Whet Owl sitting on an ice
floe floating in Lake Superior, surrounded by a ring of Herring Gulls. As
with the coot, these gulls attacked whenever the owl flew, but settled
down when it landed. The ice floe eventually drifted out of sight,
hopefully carrying the owl to the far shore and safety... We also saw a
Herring Gull attacking a Sharp-shinned Hawk over the lake once, grabbing
its wings and tail; the sharpie reached shore and landed on the beach,
and the gull broke off its attack.

On a more local front, I now have two yard lists to keep track of. I
bought feeders for my girlfriend's house last Sunday, partly because I
spend as much time at her house as my own lately, and partly to entertain
her cats (who are indoors and have to watch through the windows). Filled
and hung them Sunday night. As of Wednesday morning, they were still
birdless. Thursday my girlfriend saw a little gray cardinal-like bird,
which we eventually determined to be a Tufted Titmouse. This morning, the
word seems to have spread rapidly: several titmice and Carolina
Chickadees coming and going steadily, plus one Northern Cardinal and a
trio of House Finches. I'm encouraged by the titmice and chickadees, I
figured her neighborhood on 9th street would be too suburbanized and not
have enough large trees for such woodland species. No action at the
hummingbird feeder yet, but I'll keep my fingers crossed...

Pasted below is a notice from a graduate student from George Mason
University who has dyed several ducks pink to track their movements.
She's working in the Piedmont of Virginia. The species dyed are
Bufflehead, Ring-necked Duck, American Wigeon, and American Black Duck
(I have no idea how you can dye a Black Duck pink). Anyone who sees pink
individuals of these species, contact Sue Heath at sheath@erols.com or
the Airlie Center environmental studies office at envstudies@erols.com
and tell them what, when, and where you saw them.

Good birding,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose
Duke University