Edgecombe County Goodies

Hi folks,

I thought I would get in some birding at my usual Edgecombe County areas
before the rain started this Sunday morning. Well I must say that the
P.E.D.'s really kicked in today!  Along Cool Spring Rd., I found a large
flock of 250+ Pipits, and yes, there was at least one Lapland Longspur with
them. This is a spot where I've had longspurs before, but not for at least
three or four years. Then along Seven Bridges Road, at a hog farm operation,
I found a female Yellow-headed Blackbird among a huge flock of 25,000+
Grackles, blackbirds, and starlings. And on further down the road, I found a
very cooperative Lincoln's Sparrow, at a spot that has had them in the past.
By this time, the precipitation started, but it was not rain, but very dry
sleet. So I kept on birding and went to the ponds along US 64 Bypass. At the
big pond at the NC 33 overpass, I found three Tundra and one Mute Swan. Mute
Swan has been found here before, apparently a wandering bird that frequents
this pond on occasion. By this time, the sleet was changing to a very
beautiful snow/sleet/rain mix. As I write this, it is all practically snow!!
Anyway, just thought I would let folks know of some neat birds in the area,
seen during neat weather! Later,
Ricky

Ricky Davis
608 Smallwood Drive