Green-breasted Mango banded in Concord, NC

Yes, folks, it's true!

This morning I braved the rain, sleet and snow to visit Lori Turner's home
with hopes of identifying and banding the odd-looking, large hummer that
has been at her feeder this week.  She first noticed the bird last Sunday
(11/12) and then became concerned about it's welfare with the onset of
colder weather the past few days.  A local bird store directed Lori to Bob
Sargent who in turn directed her to me yesterday.

SO... I ventured west before dawn, despite the prediction of cold wet
weather and was not at all disappointed.  At 8:30 AM the bird made it's
first apparance at the feeder for the day.  I gave it a little while to get
stoked up and accustomed to the snowflakes (it realized that dodging them
was not an option pretty quickly) and then set up my trap.  It took 50
minutes for the  hummer to get thirsty enough to venture in--but I caught
it!  It was a very  handsome healthy juvenile Green-breasted Mango (see the
3rd edition National Geographic Society field guide, page 265 for a good
representation).  Unfortunately, I could not determine the sex given it's
current plumage.  Photos and a detailed description of this hummingbird
will be available within a few days.  I will definitely keep you posted.

Lori has kindly consented to allow visitors to view this hummer.  She's
really delighted to be sharing her yard with such a unique creature.
However, the backyard is usually occupied by Lori's territorial male
chocolate laborador SO folks MUST call to arrange a visit and get
directions to her home.  Her home phone number is: (704) 786-9474.  Please
be aware that the feeder the bird has been using is NOT visible from the
front or side yards.  One must be WELL INSIDE the fenced area out back to
see the tree, arbor and feeder that the hummer usually uses.  Furthermore,
it would be preferable for birders to stay behind the above-ground pool
when viewing the bird so as not to spook it.  From that vantage point, you
will still have excellent visibility with binoculars (and even better with
a spotting scope, of course).  Also, Lori does work during the day so
weekend visits would probably be preferrable.  (*Note: the hummer is has
not been active until about 8:15 AM and goes to roost before 4:30 PM so
early/late visits will probably be futile)

From what I have been able to ascertain today, this hummingbird occurence
constitutes the 8th US record for the species and only the FIRST outside of
Texas!  Therefore, my gratitude really goes out to Lori for allowing me to
'get to know' her little visitor and, certainly, to Bob for the *BIG*
heads-up on this hummer.  As I mentioned to my big bald mentor on the
phone, I hope this does not mean my carrer as a winter hummingbird bander
has already peaked!  I can only hope that since I am still fairly young
that maybe I can better this bird sometime in the next 35-40 years of
hummer banding someplace, somehow!!

For now, I hope this gorgeous hummingbird sticks around for folks to enjoy.
It surely makes all the frustrations and hours worthwhile. Certainly a bird
experience that I will treasure for the rest of my life...

Susan M. Campbell
Whispering Pines, NC

ncaves@utinet.net