Sick eagles

Hello All-

This note is, unfortuneately, more serious than the recently posted
messages relating to Bald Eagles in our area. Please feel free to send this
post on to anyone you know that lives in the vicinity of Woodlake (Lake
Surf) or Strom Thurmond Reservoir-- or who regularly sees eagles in North
or South Carolina (since our winter birds must move around a good bit among
lakes):

I am again working for the NC Wildlife Commission on the Avian Brain Lesion
Syndrome project here in Moore Co.  2000 appears to be a big year for the
causal agent.   There are already large numbers of (mainly) American Coots
afflicted by this mysterious syndrome at Woodlake.  The disease affects the
central nervous system and has numerous symptoms including bad balance,
uncoordinated movement of wings and legs and general lethergy.  In the past
few days I have seen multiple Bald Eagles around the lake.  And I have
indeed observed them eating dead coots.  Therefore I would like to alert
you to the possiblity that Bald Eagles in the area may very well be
affected by ABLS over the next few months.  Individuals would be most
likely to be found in wooded areas directly adjacent to Woodlake.  ANY
eagles that eat sick coots could be found with similar symptoms.  Please
report sick eagles to Tom Augspurger at the USF&WS Raleigh Field office
(919-856-4520 ext. 21) or myself (910-949-3207).  The birds need to be
IMMEDIATELY captured and transported to the NCSU vet school for observation
and treatment.

Also, eagles in the vicinity of Strom Thurmond Reservoir (another place
where ABLS was dtetected in the past) in SC may become ill soon too.  Large
numbers of sick coots have been discovered there as well within the last
month. Folks who come accross an individual in the western part of SC
should simply call the nearest Wildlife Commission office (sorry, I do not
have a name).

Thank you for your help in this matter---

Susan M. Campbell
Whispering Pines, NC

ncaves@utinet.net