More Mundane than Mango

Well, the news has been Mango related recently, most understandably! But
this AM I noticed something new on the ground, flicking its tail while
eating. Upon closer examination, I found the first Fox Sparrow of the
winter chowing down on the millet I scattered. Nice to see one again.

To those of you who worry about sugar water solution for the wintering
hummers, I thought I would relate a story about a Rufous HB who spent
two winters in Durham NC (who was banded both years by Bob Sergeant)
existing  nicely on plain sugar and water. This adds fat to the bird
which is most important.  During the warm spells we often get here, the
bird was able to catch the little gnats etc. which were around.

Those of you who see the Mango HB, I am GREEN with envy!

Cynthia Fox, Chapel Hill NC
wildbird@mindspring.com