a long way from a Mango

Along with Cynthia Fox, my sightings are more mundane than a Mango.  A quick
trip by both lakes in Fairfield county yesterday found the usual suspects -
Double-crested Cormorants, Common Loon, Bonaparte's and Ring-billed Gulls.
There were a few surprises, though. A dozen Lesser Scaup at Lake Monticello
were nice and I was a little surprised to find a couple of Loons at Lake
Wateree.  Wateree is shallow and warm.  I also found a small group (7-8)
American Coots at Lake Wateree, as well as a heard only Lesser Yellowlegs.

The real puzzle yesterday was the Song Sparrow who would be an American
Dipper.  Among the rip rap at the "point" on Lake Monticello was a small
bird that finally gave me good looks after flying several times, always
landing back in the spaces between the chunks of granite of the rip rap.  I
was quite surprised, given the bird's preference for the rocks, to find
myself looking at a Song Sparrow.  This bird was perhaps a member of a
western subspecies of Song Sparrow, as he was a bit more rusty and a bit
more gray than I usually see, but a Song Sparrow nonetheless.

On Tuesday, right on schedule, the first single Purple Finch, a female who
stayed for a while, scarfing down black oil sunflower seeds the whole time,
showed up at my feeders.  I have not noted a Purple Finch since Tuesday but
do expect them to be back to stay a few days before Christmas.

I am eagerly(?) awaiting the Pine Siskins and have already stockpiled
thistle seed.

Donna Bailey
Winnsboro, SC
e-mail: dsbailey@conterra.com