re: low numbers of Yellow-rumps

At 04:01 PM 11/25/00 -0500, Tom Krakauer wrote:
>Has there been any speculation about the very low numbers of Yellow Rumped
>Warblers?  I know that something is strange when I see more Savannah
>Sparrows than Yellow-rumpeds

Tom -

A birding friend of mine from the Lowcountry (specifically, Charleston
county) has been exclaiming for several weeks over the very high numbers of
Yellow-rumped Warblers present down there.  George Crumley's posts on the
number of Yellow-rumps found at Magnolia Garden and Caw Caw have also
pointed out the high numbers of Yellow-rumps in Charleston county.  However,
here in the Piedmont and the Midlands, there don't seem to be as many as
usual in my yard nor at the campus of the place I work.  The parking lot at
work is planted with Wax Myrtles in the margins and those Wax Myrtles are
usually quite full of Yellow-rumps. While the Yellow-rumps are numerous in
the Wax Myrtles, there aren't as many as usual.  I attributed it to the loss
of a few of the Wax Myrtles in a grass fire this summer.

Anybody else notice anything different about Yellow-rump numbers this year?

Donna Bailey
Winnsboro, SC
e-mail: dsbailey@conterra.com
    "Columbia Audubon Society"