Mango, Lake Norman, and Triangle birds

Howdy,

Joe and I were two in the crowd of birders Friday morning in Concord to see
the Green-breasted Mango. A beautiful bird with sweet eyes, as it perched in
the sweetgum tree, giving everyone great looks. Why is this hummingbird in
Concord, NC, not far from the Anna's Hummingbird two years ago? The mystery
and miracles of birding!!

Since we were close by, we made it a day of birding by going to Lake Norman
for the first time, thanks to Alan's directions. We saw some of the same
birds he listed last week: Ruddy Duck, Green-winged Teal, Northern Shoveler,
Lesser Scaup, Common Snipe, peeps (Least?), Great Egret, Great Blue Heron,
Horned and Pied-billed Grebes, and American Kestrel. If there were Common
Loons, they were the dots way out in the distance!

I'm happy to say sales of A Birdwatcher's Guide to the Triangle are going
well. I'll be selling books at the Chapel Hill Bird Club meeting tonight
(7:15 pm at Binkley Baptist Church).

Wake Audubon generates more money selling the book ourselves, but we also
want to distribute the book so the general public can buy them too. We want
people to learn about the parks in the area and how important it is to save
habitat for the birds! I'm excited to say Triangle residents can buy the book
in several local stores listed below:

Outdoor Bird Company - Ted and Sherrill's stores in Raleigh and Durham
Wildbird Center - Cynthia's store in Chapel Hill. She also allowed Joe and I
to set up a table to sell books for WAS last week for a few hours.
Stevens Nature Center at Hemlock Bluffs - Cary
Quail Ridge Books - Raleigh
NC Botanical Gardens - Chapel Hill
Wildbirds Unlimited - Joe and I will be selling books in the Raleigh store on
December 9 for a few hours.
Great Outdoor Provision Company -  3 stores
NC Museum of Natural Sciences - Raleigh

I'm pleased with the community business support!! THANK YOU!

By the way, I'll be selling books at CBC in Atlantic Beach in January too!!
Let me know if you want one, or several!

See some of you tonight in Chapel Hill! Happy birding!

Karen Bearden
Raleigh