Swallow-tailed kites.

Carolinabirders,

On Sunday (4/29/01)  Barbara Ballentine, Brad Lamphere and I visited
the Holly Shelter Gamelands near Hampstead, NC.  We had good looks at
Bachman's Sparrow and Red-cockaded woodpecker.  The highlight of the
trip, however, was 2 swallow-tailed kites we found on Highway 210,
between I-40 and the Northeast Cape Fear River.  The first kite was
foraging low over a field.  As it flew away from the river (towards
40) it met up with a second bird, and together they eventually soared
up out of view with a group of black and turkey vultures.

Jeremy Hyman
jhyman@email.unc.edu
Dept. of Biology
UNC Chapel Hill